Tick Tock

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Self-Discovery Camp ( Part 1)



Hello again to all my friends
During this study week, I attended a wonderful camp that I had ever had at Plentong, Johor. It was entitled as Self Discovery Camp. Before I was invited to join this camp, I was thinking to have a vacation in Genting Highlands with my good friends for 2 days 1 night. However, it was God’s plan for me to be in this 7days 6 nights camp. Long huh??..yea, that was why I took quite a long time to contemplate whether I wanted to join this camp because I needed to prepare for my coming exam as well.
A few days before the camp, I thought it would be quite boring as it was a vocation camp. Vocation Be a nun?  Low possibility as I was falling in love in Jun Xiu, a member form TVXQ. Haha, however, I wanted to take this chance to build a deeper relationship with God as I Could roughly guessed that this camp could definitely brought me back to the bottom of heart through the maze.
To be more detail about this meaningful camp, I will try my very best to share part of the things (if you want to know everything, you need to experience and discover yourself) that I learned. 7days are long for a camp so I may need a few posts to describe this camp.
Depart We went to Johor by bus. Our destination was MAJODI (Melaka-Johor Diocese Institute) Centre, While we were in the K.K.K L bus (only 12 of us going there by bus from Melaka), we took chance to know each other. Maybe we are all catholic, we got along very fast. Erm…we reached there at about 2.45 hours of journey. The first thing we did was going to the Mamak shop to refill our stomach because we could not wait for the dinner anymore. After that, we waited for other members while arranging our things in the hostel.


Uhoo...Johor, we are coming!!


Inside the hostel...Girls always have many things to bring.


Normally, the first activity for the camp is Ice-breaking but not for this camp. The first event was Mass! Opps, will it be boring for the rest the days? (the answer will revealed slowly)
All right, after the mass, we had our dinner. Everyone was so obedient as we have a group prayer before started eating. (I normally make a cross only before my meal)
It was time for talk after the stomach was full. Father Joseph Heng gave a simple opening speech. One of the things said that impressed me a lot to be full heartily in this camp was “ You will find yourself falling in love in your relationship with God”. Such a big words, but I was ready for it. The microphone was then passed to Brother Eddie.
“Brother Eddie is ever ready to assist anybody”. The first phrase that came to mind was “to serve”. He said that he doesn’t know when God is asking him so he just needs to answer anyone who needs his help.  You would find confidence everytime he repeated this sentence. Besides that, he said a few things that made me remember till now. One of that was “No preparation, no celebration” . That’s’ true, if you didn’t prepare for the exam by studying hard, how are you celebrate that you will have good result…”You are either fail to plan, or plan to fail”. Most importantly, in this camp, he asked us to “listen and discover yourself”. “The word makes flesh and dwells among us” Matthew 1:24. I needed to clear my ear this time in order to listen but not just hear. Friends, how much have you attempted to listen to others instead of yourself only? There are a few questions thrown by Brother Eddie to us:

  1. Who am I? This is particular important in this self-discovery camp. Why do I come to this world?
  2. Who is Jesus to you? Some of the people say Jesus is man Saviour, God and many others…but what is him to you? Brother said this is where the importance of self-discovery comes in so that we know who is Jesus and love him. Haha, i was thinking "why not love at first sight?".
  3. What is your responsibility of being a catholic? We are all baptized with water and light of God. We should no longer lead a normal life but a normal catholic way of life. Moreover, we are called to holiness by God.

 As there were 54 campers at that moment, games were held by brother to let us know each other and to introduce ourselves to all the people in the camp. We were also being asked to write journal everyday.
It was about 10.00pm,time to lights off. 

To be continued…

0 comments: