Tick Tock

Saturday, September 20, 2008

The girl named Stephanie...

Alright, this will be a funny post...about things which sometimes happen to us when we meet new people...

We have to back-track to the CSS meeting before our First Birthday Party. It was a planning session for the gala celebration which will be held the following week. And, there were two new faces with us on that day. Both of them are Nursing Students who'd just check into UCSI.

I was busy doing some writing(can't remember what I wrote la...I just know that I was distracted at that time). Patricia, as we do with new members, asked each and everyone of us to introduce ourselves. The rounds came and went until the two new members. I heard one of them saying that : "I'm Kim and I'm doing nursing." Alright, my cerebral hemisphere registered that.

However, I missed the other girl's name. Hmmm..either I missed, or my brain registered her name as STEPHANIE. Thus, this girl's name has always been Stephanie.

The birthday party came and went, meetings came and went, I met her so many times; in block A, outside the library, in the library, between Block B and C, always greeting her with "Hi", or "Hello", or "How are you doing?". Don't know why, I'd never say, "Hi, STEPHANIE". But I'd know her name is Stephanie la...

Until, one day, well, about 5 days ago. I met Rebecca outside B101 and we started chatting about CSS meetings. (I've been unable to make it for the past few gatherings, so just wanted to find out what's going on there...) And Rebecca said, "You'd know CLARE, right?"

"Clare?" A name that sounds so familiar, on the cbox and everything, yet I don't think I've met her. There was this girl during the Orientation, a CSS member, which I haven't officially introduce myself yet. Could she be CLARE, I wonder... possibly, since she'd seem to know what was going on during the Orientation. No other new faces were in the CSS booth, all those I'd know their names : Byron, Sue, Tomi, Patricia, Stephanie...

"Nope, I don't know Clare. Maybe will meet her in the coming meeting. Which one is she, ah?"
"..."(Rebecca's futile description to describe Clare's appearance)

"Nope, don't think I've met her before lah..."

(I'd omitted the rest of the long conversation involving Nicholas, Ms. Pretti the lecturer etc.)

Stephanie Stephanie Stephanie. Until...a dinner in McD. I was filling my saucer with ketchup when Stephanie walked in. Then she went, "Eh, Rebecca said you don't know who I am..."
And I froze. In my head, 'what you mean don't know who you are? You're Steph, right?'

Then, I said, "Noo...I know who you are la...", turned around and walk away.
That was when I received WAHYU/epiphany/enlightenment/or my hypothalamus just snap back together again. OMG(gosh, not God, it'll be using God's name in vain).

'STEPHANIE' IS actually...."CLARE"....

...(speechless)


I'd been running around(literally) thinking that this girl's name, which is actually Clare, is STEPHANIE. FOR TWO WHOLE MONTHS. Gosh...

Haha, so, to Stephanie, I mean, Clare...hahaha....I do know you, just that your name was registered as Stephanie! Hahaha... no hard feelings, ok?

Moral of the story : Erm, it's better to just say "HI" rather than "Hi, Joel...", you know, just in case, his name is not really Joel but Noel and you buat malu in front of everyone...

Moral of the story #2 : Sometimes we think we know someone, until you find out that you've been walking around with the wrong name...

Moral of the story #3 : There is no Stephanie in CSS.......right?

Moral of the story #4 : Pay attention, pay attention, pay attention. Don't multitask(even for the girls...). See what happened??

Anyway, have a good laugh everyone!
Now I know who's Clare.
The question is, "Do you know who's Clare?"

p.s. I don't think I can be a successful author. (Not that i want to be an author la...) No suspence to the story, from the beginning, I'm sure my readers all know that STEPHANIE = CLARE. So darn obvious...

Paul.

2 comments:

Frances Clare Freda Dan said...

gosh...
u make me laugh thinking abt ur story...
haha....thanks 4 d new name dude..
can u send that story to me & i may keep it for the rest of my life??
lol..

Frances Clare Freda Dan said...

n yeah...y stephanie??
i mean the name STEPHANIE & CLARE..
well,HUGE..not large...but it's HUGE difference man..
call me stephanie then...hehehe..